Imagine gaining new value from something you already have. Now imagine that newly gained value improving employee efficiency and customer satisfaction at the same time. Interested? Knowledge-Centered Service (KCS®) enables organizations to leverage existing knowledge to gain benefits in operational efficiency, self-service support, and organizational learning.
KCS is a set of knowledge management best practices designed around key principles and practices that focus on knowledge as the key asset of an organization. KCS was formerly called Knowledge-Centered Support, but evolved into Knowledge-Centered Service when KCS v6 was released in 2016. The methodology now extends beyond support because KCS value can occur in any service function that integrates knowledge into its processes.
Why people are excited about KCS
Knowledge is often the most valuable yet underused asset in an organization. KCS methodology guides organizations to capture collective problem-solving experience in a way that makes that knowledge reusable for employees and customers.
Adopting KCS methodology also:
- Empowers everyone connected to your product to contribute to shared knowledge
- Creates opportunities to train and motivate your employees around new skills
- Highlights the most worthwhile opportunities to improve your product
New to KCS?
There are a few things that are helpful to know before diving in:
- There is no single best way to implement KCS. It is a methodology that adapts to the unique DNA of each organization. Seek out examples of successful KCS implementations, but expect to modify details to work best for your processes.
- KCS success depends on buy-in at all levels of the organization. KCS implementation requires company culture changes and upfront investment to realize the full potential. You need everyone on board with a shared vision to get the best ROI.
- Although KCS is not tool-specific, you still need the right tools. KCS methodology is dependent on the functionality of your available tools. Important capabilities include customizable workflows, flexible permissions, scalability, and ability to integrate with other applications that your knowledge workers are using.
Learn more about KCS
KCS® is a service mark of the Consortium for Service Innovation™.